Welcome to earth...


Welcome to Earth....

I'm Chris Hayes and i'm a Graphic Design and :::..:::.....:. Illustration student studying at UEL::...::..::::..::. This is my blog showing my work i've done throughout the year:::..:.....:::..::.. I hope you enjoy it, and follow::......:.:.

as a side note, I hate the word 'basically' so if this is ever mentioned then let me know::.:.:.....::::..

::..:.::.::::...:. Om du Kanner att du vill kommentera nagra inlagg sedan gor och din critisim ar valkomna:::...::..:::

Wednesday 30 March 2011

Mile High Type Club


::..:.....::::The day we received this I went into Leicester square to speak to the cinema's directly about putting my letter onto a cinema screen. I firstly went to Odeon, the Vue, then Prince Charles, then Pheonix in Mile end. Each member of staff i spoke to behind the counter said no it was not possible. Alas, i persisted and i got e-mail addresses for the guys at Prince Charles, IMAX and Odeon.

Odeon were quite happy to help but said i was not allowed to use there projector but i can use the screen and room for as long as i need. Unfortunately i did not have several thousands of pounds worth of cinema projector just hanging around. 

IMAX were quite helpful seeing as i simply e-mailed them using there website and were quite quick to respond. They liked my idea and were happy to help and referred me to a projectionist who then told me they were too busy and unless i had the right image, on the right film (15X75mm) on a whole roll then I would not be able to do it. but i had a stroke of luck with a friend who used to be a projectionist in the IMAX at the Science Museum. After speaking to him he managed to get me in contact with the main projectionist, he did have some film that i could borrow but the only hurdle was that it was only a short segment of film and we needed the whole thing otherwise it will burn through the screen material.

During this time i had been in contact with a lady called Amanda at the Prince Charles. She was incredibly helpful and asked me (after 8 days of e-mails explaining what i wanted to do) to send her over the image i am looking to project. I emailed her over this image but because it was fairly small, to bring it 23ft big pixelated the letter quite badly.

So I went to Illustrator, opened a 10ftX10ft canvas and traced over the letter, expanded it to the size of the canvas and re sent it to her and it fitted perfectly!

She invited me in on a Monday morning, helped me set everything up, got it on the screen and then said i am welcome to do what I want until 13:00 when the cinema opens.

Luckily this only took around an hour so it was a quick process::..:.....::::

No comments:

Post a Comment